Sunday, August 14, 2011

Trip to Tennessee and Kelly's Birthday

Per James's request and to avoid feeling bummed all week, we packed our suitcases and the diaper bag, loaded up the dogs, and were Tennessee bound.
After 7 hours of driving, this was so good to see. Pretty sunflower fields.

Watering tobacco fields.

Almost as soon as I parked in the driveway, and the kids and dogs took off, my throat started getting sore. I was sick all week and boy was it nice to have the grandparents helping (and Drew, too!). The kids were still feeling a little funky from their colds the week before, but were perked up after a couple days. I laid on the couch, read "Push" by Sapphire, and ate probably 8 quarts of mom's chicken noodle soup.


My sister's birthday was the next weekend, so we stayed through it (since James will be starting pre-school, it would be our last visit for a while). The boys helped Grandma make "Aunt Gee-Gee's" ice cream sandwich cake. [I promised her I would post the pictures of the kids licking the spatulas until after the party! haha]

For the record--they weren't sick anymore!

When I finally started feeling better around the weekend, I got together with my friend Emmy, who recently got employed as a freshman english teacher at our old high school, for some school shopping and celebrating her birthday (her day is the same as Kelly's, so it takes some manuevering to celebrate with everyone). We shopped so hard! Like 8 hours straight. By the end of it I was famished and she humored me by going to a mexican restaurant for a super late dinner. I ate ridiculously fast (and much!), but we earned it!


My good friend, Neil was in town, en route on his move to Wisconsin for grad school, so we got together for some catching up. We ate downtown at Demos (I haven't been in years, probably since I was pregnant with James, and I've been madly craving some Demos lately). Lunch was lovely and made up for all of the time we spent searching for parking [impossible].

Afterward we hit up the Frist center to see the Andy Warhol exhibit. It was fabulous!!



I wish I could have taken James to see it, too! I'm going to make a point of it to take him to the Frist, especially the kids art-making center the next time we're in town.

We also got to check out the Shaker-furniture exhibit afterwards (perfectly, ironically planned). I'd love to take Jason to see it, I know he'd love to see the cases of hand tools and chairs and dressers.


After we parted, I finished up shopping for my sister's bday gift and met up with my friends, Amanda and Jacob for our Olive Garden tradition. I'm so glad they were able to meet up last minute!

It always seems so surreal to me--we're all "grown-ups" now! When did that happen? College grads. Grad school. Teaching. Engaged. Married. Babies!! I can't help but think it's all a big joke and we're just playing a bizarre game of pretend.

I've created a monster! My kids love coke. They didn't even have half of those small bottles, but still James was up til midnight (but so was my mom!). He apparently got our genetic gift of caffiene sensitivity. Riley takes more after his dad.

They both looked like little crack babies, running and screaming maniacally right after the first few sips!

Kelly had all her friends over Sunday to celebrate with a Vegas-wedding-bunco themed party. Dad made pizzas for everyone, we ate the ice cream sandwich cake the boys made, and played bunco.







The boys were fans of the cake, too :)



The card I got her--because we're two little old ladies of course!







We had a great time with everybody, even if much of it was spent sniffling and sneezing. The boys got to play with their cousins, I got to see my friends, did some productive shopping done, got my Demos fix, saw the Warhol exhibit, and kept busy enough that we didn't mope around after Jason left. Sometimes, keeping busy is all you can do not to lose your mind. We're pros.

No comments:

Post a Comment