Thursday, July 25, 2013

Anticipating kindergarten

We're down to the wire. A little over a week left of summer break.
This morning I got up at 7:45. Not terribly early...unless you're me. I hate mornings and the beginning of the school year is always a challenge for me for that very reason. So I'm starting slow. 7:45 this morning. Maybe 7:30 tomorrow? Like late-sleeping detox. I'm cutting back.
Ever since the school system sent out their little newsletter, I've been thinking of little else than school. We're already armed with supplies, new backpacks, and a few new clothes. I have a list of lunch-packing ideas so we don't get stuck in a rut of PB&Js. We're looking through the list of extra-curriculars, trying to decide on just the right class/club/sport/activity. We're cutting back on tv watching. Planning out morning routines and car-rider routes and homework time.
Of course, he's not thinking about any of that...


He's more concerned about filling every paper in the entire house with superheroes.
He'll tell me he's nervous. Scared about making new friends. He'll tell me his little expectations of how school will be, which ranges from "Spiderman art school" to something exactly like his last preschool class was.

I am so nervous for him.
Curious for him.
Excited for him.
I ask him questions about what he's excited about, hopes for, wants to learn.

And I try to keep my nervousness under lock and key until after the kids are in bed. Then I look at Jason and go, "AAAAAHHHHHHHHH our baby's about to start school and I'm FREAKING OUT!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment