Sunday, July 28, 2013

Science projects and checking off the bucket list


A week's worth of three sick kids has landed us in cabin fever territory. No playdates, no small group, and no church today.
Time to get creative!
I put my [time suck] pinteresting to work and we pulled out some borax, glue, and food coloring.
GAK!!


Flashback to third grade science! I had an awesome teacher, Ms. Staggs, who loved science projects. We did everything in that class--moldy sandwich experiments, manicure-pedicure day, restaurant day, paper mache' pinatas, and gak. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing. Mine was blue. It dried out or got thrown away for one reason or another and I wanted to make it again so bad. I think I tried dumping some glue and Gain out in the kitchen with no luck. I pined for the boxes of borax in the laundry aisle at Food Lion.
Making it with the kids totally took me back. I helped them stir and mix colors. Then when we were done, I bounced that rubbery, slimy goodness all over the table. And stretched it into snakes. And showed the boys how to squeeze it properly to get a real good fart noise out of it.
The slimy part was a little much for Poppy. She whined at it like she does when a dog barks too close to her face. Eventually she realized how awesome it was, too.

I picked up some chalkboard paint and a sample tub of Valspar (toasted pumpking--swoon!!) at Lowes this weekend and taped up a good spot in the playroom.
The chalkboard wall was a big hit!
Riley went straight to work filling it up as soon as the paint was dry.

Per our summer bucketlist, I found a good recipe for bubbles (several actually, all mixed together). Luckily it wasn't a bust! I tried making a giant bubble wand using a wire hanger, but it didn't go so well. I searched the house for something to use and voila! Canning jar lids!!
Who knew??

Poppy was more interested in giving herself a beard with the bubbles. [excuse my naked child in the background]
Terrible picture, but this was her beard. She also tried washing her hair.
It all went really well till she dumped the entire bucket of soapy water on herself/her brothers/everything. 
Did I mention the recipe called for corn syrup?

No comments:

Post a Comment