Saturday, July 27, 2013

Backyard camping

Daddy finally had (most of) a weekend off so he bought [an unnecessarily large] tent, a couple flashlights, a lantern (that ended up nearly catching fire), and s'mores supplies to take the boys camping in the yard.
As soon as he was off work, he set up "camp" and lit the firepit.
The boys of course insisted that we do the hotdog roasting since it "takes too long" and they didn't want to get smoke in their eyes.

Still-sick Poppy was a hysterical mess. Torn between not wanting to be left out of the fun her brothers were having and feeling like $hit, she just wailed and whined and screamed the entire time.

Except when I gave her a little chocolate from the boys' s'mores.


Pitiful.

I took her inside to give her a bath (while she screamed). Got her dressed (while she screamed). Gave her some medicine (while she screamed some more). And finally rocked her to sleep (no screaming, just exhaustion).
Between all the screaming from the baby, whining from the boys (it's hot! Can we get a fan? I don't want to pee outside, there's bugs!), and swearing from Jason and I, it was quite the glamorous experience.

Eventually the baby was down and Jason's phone stopped ringing (work of course), so the four of us went out to the tent in the dark with our flashlights to tell ghost stories and read Jason's old Bill Wallace novels.
I totally rocked the ghost stories.

I think we only kept the neighbors up till 11. I brought all the sweaty boys wet towels to drape on their faces, Jason took a couple glasses of water out, and I convinced them to pee in the yard when I shined the flashlight down and told them to aim at the light on the ground. Riley refused to turn his flashlight off.
I slept inside to check on Poppy and wash all the bugspray off (in the bed and air conditioning--no shame). About an hour after they were down, I peeked out the window and there was no movement--just a single flashlight beam shooting straight out the side of the tent. 

At 3:30 I heard Riley crying in the hallway. He said, "Daddy made me [sob] come inside [waaaahhhh]". I took him to the potty, then led him back out to the tent. I woke Jason up and asked why he sent Riley in. 
"I told him to go out in the yard and pee so he wouldn't pee his sleeping bag."

Clearly, Riley takes after his Daddy and has no idea who he is, where he is, or what's going on when he's woken up.
Everyone went back to sleep.

Around 7, they shook Jason awake and told him, "DADDY DADDY it's LIGHT outside!! It's awake time!!"

And they all came in and had cinnamon rolls to celebrate staying out there the whole night.



No comments:

Post a Comment