Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sick Day

Sure enough, this bug has moved on from the boys to me. I lysol-ed everything--toys, doorknobs, lightswitches before naptime and cozied up for a nap myself, but no luck. Woke up from naptime with a sore throat and a burning nose. I've spent the first half of the weekend tending to my two sickies with tylenol, eucalyptus essential oils, vick's vapor rub and bad television with a perpetual snot stain smeared on my shirt/pants/jacket. James even skipped his art class this morning in lieu of cuddling on the couch with daddy and a sippy cup of juice. You know its bad when he doesn't feel like doing his "arts and craps"! Riley has had an upset tummy all day and we've been through two or three outfits and loads of laundry. Just when I got the pile down to something manageable, it doubles or triples!

I did manage to get a nice long run in this morning though! An entire hour of running about 5.5-6 miles (didn't measure exactly since I took a lot of sidewalks and trails, but I tried to keep up a 10 minute mile pace consistently). It was 14 degrees when I started and warmed up to about 20, plus the wind was pretty awful. But it was just beautiful! And refreshing! I took in all the trees and sunlight and sights. My legs are super sore, but a good sore. In every run there's always a point whether it's 5 minutes into a run or 40, that I want to quit. It's inevitable. I start thinking, I could just run back to the house real quick and call it a day. Today it was about 35-40 minutes in. I had been through all the scenic pretty areas and knew that the rest of the run would just be "filler" neighborhoods and subdivisions or repeats of what I'd done already. I was bored and tired. That push, mentally and physically, to get out of my slump is like a rush of adrenaline. Once I throw all the negative thoughts away and just go, I feel invincible!

It is definitely easier to push out of it when I'm running outside rather than on a track or treadmill though. Structure, especially while I'm running, really turns me off. I guess it's just going outside of my comfort zone. Its easier to think negatively when I know exactly how much time or laps or distance I have to go rather than just running free.

I'm planning a short run tomorrow morning, like 2-3 miles and some strength training, so I'm hoping this cold will hold out at least til tomorrow afternoon? Then it's soup, vitamins, green juicing, tv and some snuggling with the boys to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment