Monday, March 14, 2011

Changes

With the military, you know that nothing is ever set in stone, and it's pretty much impossible to plan anything yourself. Well, if you make those plans and have big expectations for them, that is.
In recent weeks our orders changed and now we will be moving ourselves, instead of having the government do it. That means within a month and a half we have to have everything packed, a truck booked and loaded, the house cleaned and repaired, a new house waiting, and a million new things to prepare and prepare for. We have about 6 weeks to go, so it's really down to crunch time already. We're tripping over boxes, highlighters, sharpies, and sticking to everything with all the packing tape lying around. The checklists are dwindling down and covered in more and more x's. The front foyer and back of the office are littered with packed boxes. Moving is always such an adventure!
My little sister's college graduation is coming up soon, and with this move, we'll actually be able to make it! Afterwards, we're going on a family vacation with my parents to celebrate. It'll be a nice break from all the moving madness. My plan is to lose about 15-20 lbs by the time we set foot on the beach.
I'm choosing a plant-based diet, free of dairy, eggs, and flesh. I'm cutting out most processed foods and foods containing gluten. I'm working out at least 35 minutes a day for 5-6 days a week. I'm feeling good already--and I just started! In only a few days, (less than a week, even!) I've lost 3 lbs, I feel satisfied, not bloated, overly-full and miserable. I am sore from the running I've been doing, but it's a good sore.
I threw my back out shovelling snow last week and the first painkiller that actually worked was exercise! It's amazing how the road to healing and to health is so simple, but so overlooked.
Last year, I challenged myself to go vegan for a whole month, the month of April. This year, I'm taking it further, by cutting out the processed crap and by sticking with it for life.

I challenge you to try it too, even if you're just trying it for a month. Here's last night's dinner to get you started--it was delicious!

Vegan Italian Stuffed Eggplant (serves 2 people)

1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
handful chopped fresh basil
handful fresh baby spinach
2 TBS sundried tomatoes (julienne sliced, either in oil or soaked)
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
garlic salt or sea salt
black pepper
1/2 cup water
1 eggplant

Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Slice the eggplant in half, long ways. Scoop out the pulp and chop it into small cubes. Salt the insides of the eggplant and set aside.
In a saucepan, cook the eggplant cubes, onion, basil, garlic, and spinach with the water till the eggplant soaks up most of the liquid and is brown. Add the cooked rice and sundried tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and stir.
Arrange eggplant cases in baking dish lined with foil (or coated with olive oil) and spoon in the filling. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So, how did this work for you? How much did you manage to loose/have you still stuck with the plant-based diet? This is Dee btw.

    ReplyDelete