Friday, March 26, 2010

A Journal For Jordan

I had the pleasure of hearing Dana Canedy speak at my school last night on her book, "A Journal for Jordan". Ms. Canedy wrote the memoir after her fiance, 1st SGT Charles Monroe King was killed in action while serving in Iraq, 2006. While he was deployed, he filled out a journal with life lessons and stories for his baby son, Jordan. After his death, Ms. Canedy took the journal and created a memoir of Charles, his life, his service, and their love. You can read more about it at http://ajournalforjordan.com/

As a mom of two little boys and the wife of a soldier currently overseas, she really struck a cord with me. Of course I bawled my eyes out the entire time! Who wouldn't? She talked about how Charles got to meet his son only once, on his two week leave, only a few short weeks before his untimely death. Her son was 7 months old at the time.
My youngest, Riley is almost 7 months old now. The thought of him or any little boy having to spend the rest of his life without his dad just breaks my heart. No child should have to go through that. But then again, no child should have to go without their dad for any period of time.
I think about this war, this life. These deployments separating families--separating MY family for months to a year at a time. It isn't fair.
I feel so many things . . . I am angry. Sometimes I am resentful. Sad. Frustrated. Helpless. Lonely.
But I am also proud. I'm proud of my soldier for doing the job he committed to, that he was willing to do. I'm proud of where I am from. I'm proud of my children for every little thing they achieve: from rolling over and sitting up, to learning to count and use the potty and their manners. And I am proud of myself, for holding down the fort, for keeping going, even when I don't think I can.

We can't let the ugliness in the world overshadow its beauty.

As Ms. Canedy spoke to my fellow students and I, she had this glow, this appreciation of life about her that I think only comes from someone who has experienced true tragedy. I can't imagine the hurt she experienced from losing someone so close. But she somehow came out of that hurt with the knowledge that life is much too precious and too short not to live.

When you hear stories like hers, no matter what is going on in your life, it just makes you want to go out and give your loved ones the biggest hug and kiss you can lay on them! So that's exactly what I did. I came home, gave my boys a good squeeze and hopped on yahoo to send Jason an email about just how much I love and appreciate him.
Now I suggest you do the same!

'Night ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment