Sunday, March 28, 2010

Resolution #5. Try the vegan diet for at least 30 days

So it is T minus 2 Days till Totally Vegan April!

I've been meaning to go trial vegan for over a year now, so here's my chance! There's exactly 30 days in the month of April, so it's the perfect opportunity for me to go for it.



Whenever I've mentioned my plans to family and friends, the reaction is anywhere from

"Oh I'd love to do it with you, but it seems like it'd be impossible to give up x [cheese, ice cream, eggs, etc]" to

"It's just not healthy" (mostly my Southern-butter-and-meat-eating family) to my favorite, "I'm basically a vegetarian too! Except for chicken. And pork."



My parents have kind of let off on it, requesting only that I educate them on how to eat vegan and to make sure I balance my diet so that I don't become malnourished.

The big resistance I think I'm going to come across is my Granny, on Easter Sunday. She's doing dinner and of course, she's all Southern. That means, it's "unhealthy" to not eat a hefty serving of meat (main dish), bread (+ butter) and veggies (as long as they're cooked with meat for seasoning and butter).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up all these animal byproducts because I don't like them. I am a Southern girl, through and through, and like Paula, I can appreciate a stick of butter!
But I also appreciate the Earth, taking care of it, and all the creatures living on it. I lost touch with my veggie-tree-hugging-hippie-ness in the past year, so I'm happy to reconnect with that part of me. And what better time than April?? Especially with EARTH DAY coming up on the 22nd!? I plan to celebrate it bigtime! Not sure how I'm going to do so....more details to come!

I've got my meals planned out for Thurs thru Monday, and I'll try to share recipes as I go along.

I'm suuuper excited about doing this, ya'll! Anyone want to give it a shot with me? If you're not ready to commit to a full 30 days of veganism, you can always take it the one-day-a-week route! Remember, every little effort counts and helps our Earth, the animals, and our waistlines!

No comments:

Post a Comment