Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Help! I'm a Military Spouse

I received this book at one of our FRG meetings months ago and didn't start reading it until recently. Let me just say---I looooove this book!! It's packed full of insightful gems of information and motivation and personal testimonials of military spouses. In my four years as a military wife, I've fallen into the trap of the I-have-to-put-off-my-dreams-and-goals-til-my-husband-retires mindset. All the expectations I previously had for myself as an adult went out the window when I met my husband and committed myself to the life that the military assigned us. While it's great that I want to (and do!) support my husband and his career, I found myself feeling left out. My husband wants to do this? Great! We'll move! My children need this? Great! I'll do it. But after a while I wonder, what about me? Where do my needs and wants go? Do I just put my life on hold for the next 10+ years? The great thing about this book is it shows you how to move forward with your own personal goals while supporting your soldier (or sailor, marine, airman, etc.). No matter where you are stationed, there are opportunities, you just have to look for them! I had never thought about gaining work experience through volunteer work. In one spouse's story, the Red Cross offered a dental assisting certificate after so many hours of volunteer work with their dental program. I never realized these kinds of opportunities existed. After searching, myself, I found a similar program offered here at Fort Drum. Until reading "Help!" I didn't realize what I was missing out on! Now that we're two weeks away from our next adventure, I'm getting excited! With the help and insight from this book, I have dreams, I'm setting goals and I know how and where to look for ways to work on them. The book emphasizes the notion that the biggest kick out of having personal goals is not achieving them--it's while you're pursuing them. It's the journey, not the destination. I have met some very strong, admirable, ambitious women married to the military. I encourage all of you to get this book! Even better--get it FREE from MilitaryOneSource, log in or sign in if you haven't already (it's jam packed with great, FREE information and tools!! Use it!!) and order the book. They will even ship it to you for free! Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment