Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Poppy's birth story

We woke up about 4 on Friday to call in to Labor & Delivery and find out when delivery was scheduled. I showered, did my hair and make-up and waited for Jason's parents to arrive (they flew in the evening before to keep the boys for us while we were in the hospital) and we headed to the hopsital at 6. 39 weeks! My last pregnant picture.


We brought the nursing staff some Krispy Kremes (trust me, take care of your nurses!) and they got my iv started and ran me through everything. The great thing about a planned c-section is how laid back everything is! The staff was friendly and reassuring. I was super anxious and nervous and a few hours felt like forever. Poppy was bouncing around, digging her feet in my ribcage and kicking the monitor off my belly (just like her brothers did). Finally after what seemed like an eternity, they walked me back to the operating room. At 8:46, Poppy Jane entered the world, a solid 8 pounds 3 oz and 21 1/4 inches long. She was so big they had to use the vacuum to get her out.



The c-section was the smoothest I've had, out of three, and by 9:15 they were wheeling me back to the labor & delivery room to recover. Recovery took about an hour and they brought Poppy back to me right away to start nursing. With both the boys, I had to wait several hours til I was in postpartum. The entire hospital stay, she rarely left our side.



The make-up and hair weren't stellar when it was all said and done.



We were smitten from the get go! Daddy's already wrapped around her finger.







She has Jason's nose and eyes, my eyebrows, ears, and lips and hair like her brothers.



We were moved into a room in the mother-baby unit after I could feel my lower half again and they started my drip. A few hours later Jason's folks came by with the boys to meet little sister.



I anticipated Riley being jealous, both being a little standoffish at least, but nope! They wanted to know right away where their baby was and as soon as they met her, didn't want to leave her side! Riley was grinning ear-to-ear. Both of them wanted to hold her and kiss her. It was heart-melting!



On Saturday, my friends Jennifer and Erin came by to visit and take in some of that "new baby smell". Intoxicating.

Sunday morning, we were given the okay to go home. After my doctor had seen me and signed me out and the pediatrician came by to discharge Poppy, there was a hospital-wide power outtage, putting a hold on our paperwork since there was only one working computer in the unit. The power literally blacked out as soon as the pediatrician left the room. Of course. We waited around for another hour and change, and Jason picked up my prescriptions at the pharmacy and finally got to head out a little after noon. My in-laws had an afternoon flight, so we were worried that we'd have to get the boys up to the hospital to arrange the ride home, but everything ended up working out. Poppy wore a sweet dress my mom made her (the one that came in the mail the other day), with matching booties, bloomers and a scalloped-edge blanket. All the nurses were oohing and ahhing over her. Who could help themselves?







This pooh bear carseat has brought all three of my babies home. It expires this December and I'm going to be very sad to get rid of it.

Sleep in the hospital was not so great, between painkiller crises and constant vitals checks, I was afraid Poppy had her days and nights mixed up like James had. Since we've been home, things are much better. She's extra sleepy, in fact because of her mild case of jaundice--one that's brought us back and forth to the hospital for heel pricks and constant monitoring. She's such a sweet, lovely little baby, nurses like a champ, sleeps like an angel, and we couldn't be more in love with her. Her brothers haven't shown an ounce of jealousy, even since we've been home. I've found that even the biggest two-year old meltdowns can be instantly pacified with the words, "you want to hold/kiss/see Poppy?" I was changing her diaper the other day while Riley sat on the bed next to us. As soon as the cold wipe touched her, she started shrieking and crying and Riley pushed the lid down and took the box of wipes away from me so I couldn't upset her anymore. Already taking up for his little sister. I couldn't be prouder! I can't help but think about how lucky I am that I am blessed with such wonderful kids and that they all understand exactly how blessed they are to have each other.

Things are settling down now, Poppy's almost a week old. I'm still having to take her back and forth to the hospital (fingers crossed that her bili-count is finally down tomorrow!) to monitor her jaundice. Granny and Kelly arrived a couple hours after Jason's folks left on Sunday and it's been great having all the help. I can't say how things will go after all the help leaves (my parents are coming next week) and Jason's paternity leave ends, but the transition so far has been smooth. I'm looking forward to feeling human again after I'm all healed up, and getting into our routine. I'm not stressing or worrying about having to cart all three around, or juggle the day-to-day. I know there will be bad and good days and it will probably be total chaos, most of the time. But I love this great big family we've made and I know how fast the time goes and I want to make it last.

1 comment: