Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankful Day 11: Veterans

This Saturday I ran the Soldier Half-Marathon (my very first! which I'll detail later). The Fallen Heroes Program offered bibs, either blank that you could fill in with a fallen soldier's name, or you could pick a bib with the name of vets that died in combat this year. I picked up my packet the day before the race and grabbed a random Fallen bib. As the day went on, looking for something to calm my pre-race nerves and distract me, I started researching the name of the serviceman I was going to be running for. He was Marine Sgt. Julian Chase, a 22 year old from Maryland. Joined the Marines straight out of high school, was stationed in Japan. He was serving in Afghanistan when he was KIA on Memorial Day of this year. 
During my online investigating I read about his memorial service, about how people thought it might be a policeman's service because there were cop cars lined up all around to protect the family and friends from any protesters. I could tell he was well-loved, missed dearly.
Reading about this young man, barely old enough to buy a beer, who gave the ultimate sacrifice gave me this whole different perspective on the race. This sense of purpose.
I'm thankful for these men and women who serve and have served. To my grandfathers and in-laws and husband. To our friends and family and total strangers. Those who have put it all out there, fighting to protect our county, to protect us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment