Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thankful day 6: the right to vote

I've only been eligible to vote in two elections in my lifetime. Haven't missed either one! And my guy won both times! How great is that??
From high school history classes to women's studies in college to my own reading interests I've read about women suffragettes. Picketing, holding signs, signing petitions, hunger strikes, going to jail just to be taken seriously enough to be given the right to vote!
So many women fought hard for years! Decades! Many never got to see the day where their voices were heard. But it was their dream for their daughters and granddaughters and greats to be able to see that day. I think of all those hard-fighting women every time I stand in line with my card, press that button on the computer and make my voice count. How proud they must be! That their work wasn't for nothing.
I'm thankful to be taken seriously. To be able to stand in those long lines. To have a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment