Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thankful day 3: clean laundry

About 3 weeks ago, we received a call that our warranty was up on our Whirlpool Cabrio washer/dryer set.
A week later, right before James's epic birthday party, our washer stopped working. With about 20 minutes left on the cycle an F1 error showed on the control panel and it refused to spin/drain. Google queen that I am, all the help websites I came across seemed to point to a problem with the drain pump. Something was probably caught in it. Jason and I tilted the machine against the wall and followed the instructions. No luck. We called a local appliance repair company, who came by and said they'd have more luck if they took it to the shop. They gave us an estimate and said it'd be back by Thursday. Thursday came and went. We called and they were at a loss. They'd tried 6 different things on it and nothing worked. If they couldn't get it up and going they'd bring it back the next Monday at no charge. As soon as they brought it back and I'd done some more googling, I called Whirlpool and told them the problem. They said it was a "common problem" and they'd have someone out to fix it at no charge. The new appliance repair guy came. He worked his magic on it. Now the damn thing started showing an F51 error code. He said it was something to do with the motor and he would call Whirlpool to see if they would send the new part and cover the repair. He called again and wanted to try one more thing on it. He said there may be a sock or towel caught in the basin and he'd need to remove it to check. I was about to pee if it was just a sock that had been causing all our problems. Plus why hadn't anybody checked that already?? He came back the next day, took the basin out. No sock. No towel. He tried to run the machine again. ERROR CODE. He went on to tell me that it was some problem with the motor for sure. There was a tiny, undetectable leak inside the washer that had corroded the motor and set off all kinds of problems. It would cost over $600 to fix it. I could call Whirlpool and try to get them to cover some of the costs, but it would still mean money out of my pocket, waiting for parts, waiting for appointments, and I would be lucky if I had it fixed by Thanksgiving. At this point we were out of clothes, towels. We had two weeks worth of five people's dirty laundry piled up in the jacuzzi tub and bathroom floor. It was ridiculous. He said I'd be better off buying a new washer and not putting any money into my ONLY-FIVE-YEAR-OLD piece of crap. Then charged me $55 for the sock-checking.
I picked James up from school and headed out to HH Gregg, with all three kids in tow, to buy a new friggen washer. I'll spare you the details of my giving the salesman a hard time, kids running a muck in the store, making snow angels in the floor, slamming dryer doors. Okay maybe I won't. But regardless, I picked out a Samsung, sold a kidney to pay for it, and they delivered it the next day. 
I've been doing laundry all weekend and am almost caught up.
We now have clean clothes and towels.
And I am so very very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment