Monday, November 26, 2012

Thankful Days 14-26: catching up

Prepping for Thanksgiving, kids' school functions, potty-training, family and friend visits this month have been wonderful for us, bad for blogging. So I'll just have to lump two weeks worth of thanks into one big post.

I am thankful for

14: My great big southern family. We gossip, we cook, we eat, we laugh, we keep secrets from each other and rag each other when the secrets come out (ie Poppy). We play outside, we shop, visit each other across the county. We call each other to share news and milestones and doctors' reports. We're all here for each other.

15. My sister. I tell her everything, even though she ends up letting secrets slip (ie Poppy). We share many an inside joke, clothes, secrets, pictures, shopping trips, Meryl Streep movies, bottles of moscato, recipes, fights. She's my built in best friend.

16. My in-laws. From my Texas family, to those in New York, to my bro-in-law in Tennessee and all the extended family that came with marrying Jason. I'm thankful to have such wonderful, loving people welcome me into their lives and become a part of mine.

17. Polite strangers. Since living in Georgia, I've had so many kind strangers approach me to lend a helping hand when I'm loading groceries, pick something up that I've dropped, offer help when I'm juggling, and just tell me what beautiful/well-behaved children I have and how blessed I am to have them. Nothing gives my day a boost like a kind stranger with something nice to say. It shows me that chivalry is not dead and the good that people have in them. It encourages me to count my blessings and pay it forward.

18. Technology. As much of a pain in the butt it is when it craps out on me, I love technology. I love that I can check directions on my phone when I'm lost somewhere, or read a book in the waiting room, surf the internet, buy Christmas presents, email friends, or see my family when I call them.

19. My hairdresser. I'm serious. It is soooo hard to find a good hairdresser and its one of the downsides to moving. Just when you find one you trust with your hair, who does what you want, you have to move again! And start all over. Ryan has been doing my hair for over a year now. He's hilarious, always does a great job, and slips samples of expensive and good-smelling products in my purse while my color processes. He's fabulous!

20. Holiday cheer. I love this time of year! I love the Christmas music, the decorations, the joy. I love seeing the holidays through the kids' eyes. Watching "It's a Wonderful Life" and "The Family Stone" and claymation movies, sipping stovetop hot cocoa, hanging lights and tinsel, driving around looking a lights on people's houses wearing our pajamas and eating Christmas cookies a few nights before Christmas. I love all our traditions.

21. A reliable car. It's been through three moves, vacations, it fits all of our kids and the dog. It's taken us back and forth to Tennessee, doctor's appointments, school, the grocery store. I'm thankful that it works, it fits us, and we were able to afford it and not have to pay out the rear each month on car payments. While I'd love to get something bigger in the future, we're plenty comfortable now.

22. Big Thanksgivings. I'm thankful that we can make lots of wonderful food, that tastes like home, and feed our family, friends, and Army family. I'm thankful for cornbread dressing, 21+ lb turkeys, Daddy's rolls, and real pumpkin pies. I'm thankful that family can visit to eat and cook with us. I'm thankful for a loud house. For naps. For full bellies. I'm thankful that I've had the opportunity to make people feel at home, people who are spending their first Thanksgiving away from their families. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be thankful for so much.

23. Good books.

24. Christmas shopping.

25. Coffee with friends.

26. Good music. The right music can motivate me to clean my pigsty house, run 12 miles, or can set the mood for a romantic date with my husband. I'm one of those people who believes in a soundtrack to accompany my life.

And that's all folks! I'll try to do a better job of finishing out the month of thanks, since there are only a few days left of it (how did that happen??!).

No comments:

Post a Comment